Technology & Audio Visual Support Specialist
Starting late June 2023
Working at York House School
York House School is a vibrant and close-knit school community where people feel valued, engaged, and connected to the school. All staff contribute towards empowering our students to develop the knowledge, skills, and competencies to succeed in the world beyond our doors. On our path to creating a more inclusive, equitable, and sustainable future, we share the belief that individuals have inherent rights and deserve to be respected for who they are; that every member of our community belongs here and feels included; that we must treat others with dignity and expect the same in return.
Reporting to the Technology Integration and Technical Operations Manager, the Technology and Audio Visual Support Specialist will provide first level technology support to members of the school community, as well as general maintenance, inventory, and repair of various technology systems. In addition to their technology duties, they concurrently serve as the primary audio visual specialist, providing support to special events, and overseeing all operations of the school theatre.
- Assist with installing, configuring, and deploying new hardware and software as procured
- Provide classroom technology support for a Mac computer lab, iPads, mobile MacBook carts, and school-owned and student-owned devices
- Perform system updates and configuration
- Provide technical support and resolve end-user IT issues such as troubleshooting hardware and software issues for students and staff
- Perform hardware diagnosis, repair, network resolution and software installation
- Attend IT meetings
- Clearly communicate technical solutions in a professional manner and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Keep current and update inventory
- Deliver, tag, set up, and assist in the configuration of end-user desktop hardware, software and peripherals
- Support audiovisual set up in classrooms and meeting rooms (Apple TV, projectors, Smart boards, Front Row audio, etc.)
- Diagnose and resolve minor network issues (e.g. LAN access).
- Recognize and escalate more complex issues to Tier 2 support technicians
- Where necessary, assist network technicians in installing network interface cards, hubs, switches, network cabling, and so on.
- Prioritize work orders or IT Tech tickets according to severity and log work orders or IT Tech tickets and resolutions into IT Tech software management system’
- Create and maintain IT procedural documents
Audio Visual Responsibilities
- Work independently and in concert with third-party technical support, other department members, and outside users of school facilities
- Coordinate set up and take down of all technology equipment for school events such as (performances, guest speakers, assemblies, etc.) and other functions requiring audio visual equipment around the campus (e.g. gym, classrooms, foyer, field, amphitheatre, etc.)
- Coordinate bookings of technology equipment such as video cameras, projectors, audio equipment, laptop carts, etc.
- Support staff and students in the use of specialized equipment and specialized areas of the school, particularly the theatre
- Operate and maintain the theatre facilities and equipment, and proactively work to improve the functionality and operability of this space
- Support and oversee students in the AV club or other production capacities, in consultation with a supporting sponsor teacher
- Liaise with theatre users to understand and meet their needs for use of this space
- Maintain, test, inventory, repair, and replace technology equipment as necessary
- Work with external vendors and third-party support for specialized support and maintenance of theatre equipment
- Provide support for off-campus and after hour/weekend special school events
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong customer service skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to build rapport with all stakeholders
- Ability to manage multiple priorities effectively with minimal direct supervision
- A strong focus on quality and efficiency
- Self-motivated, excellent organizational skills, and a team player
- Ability to manage and work within competing deadlines
- Sound judgment to escalate issues when needed
- Seeks to continually learn and develop IT knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to transport, assemble, maintain and repair technology equipment
- Availability to work flexible hours and/or a floating shift
- Experience in technical theatre operation and event productions an asset
- Ability to diagnose problems, perform repairs on IT assets, and provide support for a wide range of applications.
- Knowledge of IT Tech management software tools
- Education equivalent to an associate degree in audiovisual technology, information technology, a combination of both, or related fields, such as digital media
- Formal technology certification(s) an asset
- Technology troubleshooting skills, as well as the ability to research knowledge bases and actively seek out solutions to technology issues independently
- Two years experience in a similar position
- Experience with Google Apps, Mac hardware, and specialized hardware such as multifunction printers, sound and lighting equipment, Smart boards, etc.
Review our Career Page for more information about benefits and programs for staff.
Please apply online here.
This posting will remain open until the position is filled. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as they arrive. All employees of YHS must be able to provide a passed vulnerable sector screening criminal record report. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About York House School
York House School, located in the heart of Vancouver, is one of Canada’s leading independent schools for girls. Founded in 1932 by seven progressive and insightful women, York House provides an outstanding education for approximately 650 girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12. For more information about York House School, please visit our website at yorkhouse.ca.
To apply for this job please visit yorkhouse.bamboohr.com.