Payroll and Benefits Administrator
Starting October, 2023
Working at York House School
York House School is a vibrant and close-knit school community where people feel valued, engaged, and connected to the school. All staff contribute towards empowering our students to develop the knowledge, skills, and competencies to succeed in the world beyond our doors. On our path to creating a more inclusive, equitable, and sustainable future, we share the belief that individuals have inherent rights and deserve to be respected for who they are; that every member of our community belongs here and feels included; that we must treat others with dignity and expect the same in return.
About this Role
Reporting to the Controller and the Director of Finance and Operations, the Payroll and Benefits Administrator is an integral member of the Finance department and is responsible for processing payroll and benefits administration for all York House School employees. This position will be responsible for the creation, review and maintenance of all payroll, time and attendance reports and all monthly reconciliations. In addition, this position will be accountable to ensure all payroll functions are completed in accordance with established timelines and align with all applicable federal and provincial regulations and the School’s policies and procedures.
In addition, the Administrator supports the Controller and Director of Finance and Operations with administrative and general accounting duties as well as providing any project support.
This position will possess a strong work ethic, attention to detail, interpersonal skills and communication, with an emphasis on confidentiality and integrity.
- Using ADP, process semi-monthly payroll for the School’s employees, hourly and salaried, full-time and part-time, including payroll transactions such as RRSP, leaves, overtime, vacation, retirement, terminations, donations; documenting payroll policies and procedures
- Benefits administration – enrolments, terminations, changes, ordering of updated information booklets
- Process, reconcile and remit all payroll-related payments, – RRSP, Benefit Carriers, etc.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all information and records associated with the payroll system and personnel files
- Administer and process applications for maternity and parental leave, short-term medical and long-term disability leave claims
- Prepare various government reports for filing as required, such as EI (Record of Employments and Reduction Employer Rates), Employer Health Tax and T4s
- Reconcile annual payroll reports to Government remittances, identify and resolve any discrepancies. Review, verify and calculate timesheets for employees and teachers on call
- Prepare annual compensation memos for all employees to upload onto BambooHR
- Respond to employee queries concerning pay and benefits
- Deduct, process and remit BC Teachers Certification fees and Prepare and submit annual teacher status report to the Ministry of Education
- Prepare monthly payroll journal entries and monthly reconciliations for General Ledger accounts
- Prepare quarterly and annual WorkSafeBC reconciliations
- Prepare various year-end audit working papers, including payroll and benefit accruals, GL reconciliations, and data analysis, as well as provide ad-hoc documentation and information to auditors
- Provide administrative support to the Director of Finance and Operations
- Work with the Advancement team members as the payroll representative for donations
- Provide payroll overview at annual employee orientation session
- Assist with the preparation of benchmarking reports
- Maintain confidentiality in all matters
- Data analysis tasks as assigned
- Other duties as required
Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- 3-5 years of accounting and payroll and benefits administration experience
Certified with the National Payroll Institute (formerly Canadian Payroll Association)
- Working knowledge of ADP payroll and HR system required. Prefer three years experience with ADP system.
- Previous experience with ADP payroll reporting an asset
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple priorities
- A high degree of diplomacy, discretion and tact
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and highly confidential material
- Strong technical skills and advanced knowledge of Excel
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles
- Solid working knowledge of employment legislation
- Flexibility and ability to juggle many tasks, interruptions and deadlines
Please apply online here.
This posting will remain open until the position is filled. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as they arrive. All employees of YHS must be able to provide a passed vulnerable sector screening criminal record report. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About York House School
York House School, located in the heart of Vancouver, is one of Canada’s leading independent schools for girls. Founded in 1932 by seven progressive and insightful women, York House provides an outstanding education for approximately 650 girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12. For more information about York House School, please visit our website at yorkhouse.ca.
To apply for this job please visit yorkhouse.bamboohr.com.