About Fraser Academy
Fraser Academy (FA) is an independent school in Kitsilano, Vancouver, BC serving students in Gr. 1-12 with dyslexia and language-based learning differences through day and outreach programs. We serve a gap in the system where approximately 20% of the student population is under-served by mainstream education. The ripple impact of our programming also adds great social value. While our student population has skills and strengths which are in demand in the 21st century, it can also be vulnerable to mental health, substance abuse, higher drop-out rates, and other risks when not supported.
We are proud to be at the forefront of educational practices, providing a learner-centric environment with the most effective research-based methods to optimize personalized learning, cognitive, social and emotional development, and post-secondary opportunities setting our students up for a successful life. For more information please visit us at www.fraseracademy.ca.
Position Type: Temporary – Jan-Jun 2022, Part-Time
We are looking for an experienced qualified and dynamic clinical counsellor to join our team! Reporting to the Director of Counselling, the Personal Counsellor will provide direct counselling support to students and liaise with other staff such as Teachers, Learning Specialists and Administration. This temporary, part-time position is available immediately until June 24, 2022. Position is 2-3 days per week (Monday and 1-2 other day(s) from 7:45-3:45.
- Provide direct counselling to students supporting socio-emotional, behavioural, academic, and learning differences
- Guide students in problem-solving and to create personal action plans
- Facilitate conversations around positive peer relationships, including conflict resolution, social skills and life skills
- Adapt counselling techniques to meet the needs of a diverse school population.
- Communicate and collaborate with teachers and learning specialists to advocate for student support and well-being
- Liaise and implement strategies recommended by external agencies and professional in the best interest of students
- Connect with parents to provide strategies with learning, behavioural, familial and social problems as requested by students
- Support IEP and SPED teams
- Design and implement social skills, attention and behaviour support plans
- Maintain best practices around counselling files and confidentiality
- Handle crisis management as needed·
Core Competencies and Skills:
- Excellent understanding of best practices in counselling
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Patience and empathy
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Masters in Counselling Psychology or a Masters in Educational Counselling
- Preference to registered clinical counsellors
- Preference to applicants with minimum two years experience
COVID-19 Safety Protocols: as part of the BC school restart plan for Sept. 2021, the BC Ministry of Education reviewed FA’s Covid-19 School Re-Occupancy Health and Safety Protocols and confirmed their alignment with the requirements set out in their COVID-19 Operational Guidelines and Provincial COVID-19 Health and Safety Guidelines for K-12 Settings. FA’s protocols: https://fraseracademy.ca/parent-info/covid-19-resources
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to Ms. Sandy McEwen, Director of Counselling to [email protected] in Human Resources.
FA offers an exceptional and stimulating environment, along with competitive employment packages, including salary and commensurate with experience and vacation options based on a school environment.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest, we look forward to hearing from you!
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.