POSITION: Director, Human Resources
REPORTS TO: Head of School
START DATE: May 1, 2021
Founded in 1996, West Point Grey Academy is an independent coeducational day school in Vancouver, BC. Set on 18 acres, with sweeping views of English Bay and the North Shore mountains, we offer future-focused programs to 940 students in Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12. At WPGA, we focus on the individual child, the whole person and a balanced life. We give each student transformative learning experiences rooted in inquiry, shaped by action and celebrated with joy.
The Director of Human Resources provides strategic leadership, direction and management to West Point Grey Academy’s human resources function in support of the school’s vision, mission, core values and strategic plan. The Director of Human Resources guides and supports recruitment, selection and engagement of employees, people and performance management, health and wellness programs, process improvement, employee relations, employment policies, succession planning. The Director is a member of the Leadership Team providing expertise and counsel regarding all human resource matters.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contributes to the long-term viability and success of the School by ensuring that human resources practices and strategies support the School’s vision and Strategic Plan.
- Ensures that appropriate and effective performance measures are in place.
Works in tandem with the Leadership Team and department heads to fill ongoing staffing needs.
- Manages and supports all recruitment related activities.
- Responsible for developing a sound Human Resource Plan inclusive of an HR Handbook and Key
- Performance Indicators to ensure continual improvement and success of the School.
- Responsible for developing and implementing a high-performance management plan that incorporates self-development, coaching and mentoring with the overall goal of growing staff that potentially support succession planning.
- Provides leadership in the management of the School’s professional development plans ensuring that the School has the right employee base with the blend of knowledge, skills and competencies to meet the School’s future needs.
- Recommends and initiates “best practices” that support an exemplary growth mind set work environment using techniques such as employee surveys, programs and guidelines befitting the academic environment.
- Develops and implements the full range of human resource management processes including: – Recruitment and selection
– Policy design
– Compensation programs and competitive review
– Benefit and pension design and administration
– Development and design of High-Performance HR Plan
– Competency profiling and job descriptions
– Employee relations
– Health and Wellness programs
– New staff orientation and onboarding
– Succession plans
- Ensures compliance with all relevant legal and legislative practices established in the areas of employment standards, human rights, health and safety and ensures that all School policies and practices are compliant and are applied consistently.
- Responsible for all contracts related to faculty and staff.
- Responsible for new staff orientation and onboarding processes.
- Supports a favorable working relationship with all faculty and staff to help foster and promote a cooperative and harmonious working climate which is conducive to maximum employee morale, effectiveness and retention in the academic environment.
- Acts as a change agent and has the ability to influence others within the School environment with a focus on enhancing the overall School climate and culture.
- Work with Heads of School and Director of Finance & Operations to design effective HR Plan for the school; this includes all programs, orientation, succession planning, risk management priorities, competitive information with the focus on continuous improvement within the School environment.
- Responsible for human resources budget.
- Responsible for maintaining personnel records.
- Participates actively in ISABC, CAIS, NAIS and local community HR programs to strengthen benchmarking and best future-focused practices.
- Proven track record as a Senior Human Resources Generalist or Manager with post-secondary education and minimum eight years’ senior level human resources experience. CPHR designation preferred.
Experienced in HR “best practices” with demonstrated ability in recruitment, performance management and employee relations.
- Excellent inter-personal skills combined with strong communication and relationship building skills.
- Ability to set goals and manage multiple projects and initiatives.
- Self-starter who is able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Possess sound judgment, be tactful and maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, time management, planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage the human resources and training budgets.
- Previous experience in educational settings an asset.
- Knowledge of relevant legal and legislative practices established by employment standards. human rights and Worksafe BC.
- Proficient in MS Office applications, Google, HR database and Internet research.
Please email a cover letter and résumé, citing “HR Director” in the subject line, to WPGA Careers by April 6, 2021. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.