About Fraser Academy
Fraser Academy (FA) is an independent school in Kitsilano, Vancouver, BC serving students in Gr. 1-12 with dyslexia and language-based learning differences through day and outreach programs. We serve a gap in the system where approximately 20% of the student population is under-served by mainstream education. The ripple impact of our programming also adds great social value. While our student population has skills and strengths which are in demand in the 21st century, it can also be vulnerable to mental health, substance abuse, higher drop-out rates, and other risks when not supported.
We are proud to be at the forefront of educational practices, providing a learner-centric environment with the most effective research-based methods to optimize personalized learning, cognitive, social and emotional development, and post-secondary opportunities setting our students up for a successful life. For more information please visit us at www.fraseracademy.ca.
Position Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Position Summary and Mandate:
Reporting to the Chief Financial & Administrative Officer, the Controller is responsible for the day-to-day operations of finance and accounting including: financial statements and reporting, AR and AP, Payroll, Benefits, and RRSP, and managing year end audits. This position requires a diligent person to join the Business Office in providing outstanding service to its various stakeholders, while championing ongoing improvement and efficiencies.
▪ prepares timely and accurate financial statements and cash-flow forecasts with analysis of variances and trends
▪ ensures necessary accounting controls are in place to protect assets, including tax management and compliance with taxation requirements
▪ processes monthly accounting cycle including bank reconciliations and payroll related entries and reporting
▪ administers employee benefits and related payroll adjustments including related reporting
▪ monitors inconsistencies in accounting transactions and takes action remedy immediately
▪ assists with budget preparation and act as first point of contact with budget holders
▪ Responsible for finance and accounting functions including but not limited to:
- monthly reconciliations including accounts payable and tuition schedules
- fixed asset sub ledgers and continuity schedules
- quarterly GST, EHT and annual giving returns
- processing accounts payable in a timely manner, including cheque runs and expense reimbursements
- making bank deposits at least twice per week or as needed, including required payment application
- preparing invoices for School tuition, Outreach Centre, school care, and others as assigned
- maintaining accurate and up to date Excel spreadsheets such as the tuition spreadsheet related to tuition payments for invoicing and reconciliation of the G/L, the RBC Visa spreadsheet, Petty Cash spreadsheet ensuring it is downloaded and keyed into G/L account, and the after-school-care, School Bus spreadsheet, etc .to simplify and expedite invoicing
- up to date filing (paper or electronic) for all vendors and deposits
- administrative support when required
- assist special events and attends events when required
- other ad hoc projects as assigned
Core Competencies and Skills:
● High degree of diligence, accuracy and attention to detail
● Proactive, self-starter with the ability to manage competing priorities and deadlines by staying organized and managing time well.
● Life-long learner committed to ongoing improvement personally, professionally and within the organization
● Creative and solutions driven approach to problem solving
● High level of professionalism with the ability to work independently and collaboratively when needed.
● Relevant Bachelor’s degree and hold CPA designation (or be in final year)
● 5+ year of full cycle accounting experience (non-profit preferred)
● Advanced computer literacy: Sage, Raiser’s Edge, MS Office Suite, Google Suite. Highly proficient in building, using and maintaining excel and word templates
● Knowledge in compliance requirements
● Experience working with auditors
COVID-19 Safety Protocols: as part of the BC school restart plan for Sept. 2021, the BC Ministry of Education reviewed FA’s Covid-19 School Re-Occupancy Health and Safety Protocols and confirmed their alignment with the requirements set out in their COVID-19 Operational Guidelines and Provincial COVID-19 Health and Safety Guidelines for K-12 Settings. FA’s protocols: https://fraseracademy.ca/parent-info/covid-19-resources
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to Ms. Beth McInnis, Chief Financial and Administration Officer via email to [email protected] in Human Resources.
FA offers an exceptional and stimulating environment, along with competitive employment packages, including salary (and title for the right candidate negotiable) and commensurate with experience and vacation options based on a school environment.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest, we look forward to hearing from you!
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.