Southridge is an independent day school located in South Surrey, BC. The school is home to 680 students enrolled in Kindergarten through Grade 12. Our mission is to develop well-rounded students with the love of learning, integrity, character and confidence to realize their full potential and make a difference in the world.
Southridge is affectionately described as “a lighthearted place of serious purpose” and we want you to know…it’s true! If you enjoy working in an energizing, collaborative, and collegial environment with colleagues passionate about nurturing strong minds and good hearts, we want to hear from you!
French Teacher, Primary Years Program, Junior School
Temporary, Full-Time 1.0 (this position commences September 1, 2023 to June 24, 2024)
Please note: the successful candidate must be available to attend Southridge Faculty Orientation Days starting on August 25, 2023.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and deliver an engaging and interactive French Additional Language program for students in Kindergarten through Grade 4 (IB PYP) that embraces and reflects the International Baccalaureate philosophy and framework and utilizes the Accelerated Integrative Method (AIM) of language instruction hand gestures and plays
- Nurture an appreciation for French culture and language in the Junior School
- Assess students’ formative progress in their development of French language acquisition by using clear assessment criteria and specific feedback to guide their growth
- Use subject-specific standards to formally evaluate and report on each student’s progress and final achievement in French, drawing attention to their strengths, areas for improvement or next steps
- Collaborate with the Vice-Principal, Learning, the IB PYP Coordinator and the Grade 5-7 French teacher to ensure program alignment and continuity across the K-7 continuum
- Communicate the goals of the French program to parents
- Grade 4 homeroom teacher responsibilities (with a partner Grade 4 Core subject teacher): building relationships and a strong sense of community with the students and families in the homeroom class, establishing and reviewing classroom essential agreements (norms) with the homeroom class, greeting/checking in with students upon arrival each day and taking attendance, co-planning and co-facilitating community-building opportunities during scheduled homeroom blocks, supporting student behaviour, collaborating on shared elements related to Communication of Learning
- Support the co-curricular program at the school through athletic coaching or club sponsorship
- Attend and participate in core school functions and special events
- Additional duties and responsibilities outlined in the Southridge Faculty Handbook
- Bachelor of Education (Elementary)
- Valid BC teaching certificate
- Oral and written fluency in French; undergraduate studies in French an asset
- Experience teaching French at the elementary level
- Highly collegial and collaborative team partner who is committed to collaborative planning and continuous professional growth
- Effective interpersonal skills with children and adults
- Strong knowledge of children’s developmental and educational needs
- A record of encouraging, nurturing, and supporting students’ love of learning
- Athletic coaching experience in team sports is an asset
- First Aid Certification (or willingness to obtain certification)
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
The ideal candidate will be aligned with Southridge’s values (truth, tolerance, compassion, and respect) and mission, will want to be an active member of a vibrant school community, and will demonstrate a desire to make a difference in the world. They will be someone who:
- Is a lifelong learner
- Has excellent study, critical thinking, and communication skills
- Is a creative and independent thinker
- Has a positive attitude
- Seeks their passion
- Believes in the value of trust, tolerance, compassion, and respect
- Understands the sacrifice and reward of community service
- Has an appreciation of, and a desire for, lifelong physical activity and fitness
- Commits to personal wellness
- Appreciates the arts and their contribution to a richer life
- Can work effectively as part of a team
Southridge offers a competitive salary and pays 4% above the Vancouver School District. In addition, we have a comprehensive benefits package and a generous RRSP matching program, access to health and wellness activities, and generously supported professional learning and development opportunities.
To learn more about our school, explore our website: southridge.bc.ca.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those under consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit network.applytoeducation.com.