Southridge is a K – 12 independent day school located in South Surrey, BC. The school is home to 680 students and 130 faculty and staff. We have a tradition of developing well rounded students with a balance of knowledge and goodness, inspiring students to go out into the world and make a difference.
Southridge is affectionately described as ‘a lighthearted place of serious purpose’ and we want you to know…it’s true! If you’re passionate about working in an energizing environment with colleagues that value building strong relationships, fostering strong minds and good hearts through student-centered teaching and learning, and community all while having fun, we want to hear from you!
GRADE 1 TEACHING ASSISTANT/AFTER-SCHOOL CLUB SUPERVISOR, JUNIOR SCHOOL (TEMPORARY, FULL-TIME)
We invite applications for the temporary full-time (1.0 FTE) Grade 1 Teaching Assistant & After School Club Supervisor position. This position starts immediately and ends June 30, 2024.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES OF THE TEACHING ASSISTANT (approx. 0.6 FTE – 8:30 am – 2:30 pm)
- Support the learning, play, and behaviour of all Grade 1 students in both classrooms.
- Provide support to the Grade 1 teachers to ensure effective programme delivery.
- Provide individual and small group literacy support to Grade 1 students.
- Collaborate with Learning Strategies team members to determine and support specific student needs and monitor student response to intervention.
- Support the documentation of students’ growth.
- Provide daily recess playground supervision.
- Participate in relevant meetings and professional development opportunities.
- Support school-based special events and activities, as requested by the JS Principal.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES OF THE AFTER-SCHOOL CLUB SUPERVISOR (approx. 0.4 FTE – 2:45 pm – 4:30 pm)
- Plan and lead indoor and outdoor daily afterschool activities and supervised care for the school-aged children of Southridge faculty and staff (approx. 10-12 K-Gr. 5 students).
- Plan and lead indoor and outdoor activities and supervised care for the school-aged children of Southridge faculty and staff on late start days and non-instructional learning conference days.
- Organize and maintain a registration spreadsheet and proactively communicate with parents re: logistics, activities, etc.
- Adhere to appropriate attendance and safety procedure.
- Ensure a safe and caring environment for students attending the after-school club program.
- 1-3 years of experience in an early primary setting.
10-month college program in teaching assistance or educational assistance and/or training in the Orton Gillingham methodology.
- Experience supporting various learning and behavioural needs in the classroom.
- A proven understanding of children’s social and emotional needs, particularly at the early primary/Grade 1 level.
- Experience integrating and using assistive and adaptive technology to support student success.
- Highly collegial and collaborative team member.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Canadian resident legally entitled to work in British Columbia.
- Hold or be willing to obtain a Basic First Aid Certificate.
The ideal candidate will be aligned with the values and mission of Southridge, will want to be an active member of a vibrant school community, and will demonstrate a desire to make a difference in the world. They will be someone who:
- Is a lifelong learner
- Has excellent study, critical thinking, and communication skills
- Is a creative and independent thinker
- Has a positive attitude
- Seeks their passion
- Believes in the value of trust, tolerance, compassion, and respect
- Understands the sacrifice and reward of community service
- Has an appreciation of, and a desire for, lifelong physical activity and fitness
- Commits to personal wellness
- Appreciates the arts and their contribution to a richer life
- Can work effectively as part of a team
Southridge offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package, a generous RRSP matching program, and access to health and wellness activities, including generous support for professional learning and development. The annual salary for this position is $61, 769.00. Preferred candidates will be required to complete a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
To apply for this position, please visit our ‘How to Apply‘ page for step-by-step instructions for applying using our online system. This posting will remain open until filled.
To learn more about our school, explore our website: southridge.bc.ca.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those under consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit makeafuture.applytoeducation.com.