Southridge is a co-ed, K – 12 independent day school located in South Surrey, BC. The school is home to 680 students and 130 faculty and staff. We have a tradition of developing well-rounded students with a balance of knowledge and goodness, inspiring students to go out into the world and make a difference.
Southridge is affectionately described as ‘a lighthearted place of serious purpose and we want you to know…it’s true! If you’re passionate about working in an energizing environment with colleagues that value building strong relationships, fostering strong minds and good hearts through student-centered teaching and learning, and community all while having fun, we want to hear from you!
Database Systems Administrator – Full-time
We are currently inviting applications for the full-time position of Database Systems Administrator.
The Database Systems Administrator provides database management expertise, support and guidance to staff and faculty on all aspects of major institutional database applications that include student information, advancement, marketing and communications, finance, admissions, and educational technology systems, both on premise and cloud based. This position supports the day-to-day administration of databases including analyzing data, development of reports, streamlining procedures, creating extracts, and ensuring the integration between applications and external systems are maintained and accurate.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
DATABASE ADMINISTRATION, MAINTENANCE AND SUPPORT
• Plans and implements data administration procedures, models, and standards to ensure the integrity, accuracy, and support of all databases have control measures in place regarding access, security, data privacy, and user support
• Implements and coordinates changes in database operations and ensures data is readily available to end-users and constituents
• Minimizes downtime of databases by troubleshooting and escalating issues as they arise
• Manages database access permissions and keeps stored data up to date
• Leads and provides training, and support to users on the usage of data provided to streamline efficiencies, ensure consistency, and develop competency
• Monitors performance and provides information on ways to improve the authenticity and security of data
• Maintains the efficiency of the data by providing regular checks and data updates
• Creates extracts and uploads data to databases used by the school as part of start-up and roll over procedures, or as needed for operations
• Creates new users as part of the schools on-boarding process
• Supports all administrative departments with updates and changes
• Creates and posts on-line consent forms, (AUP’s, Privacy, Permission, etc.) and tracks completion and follow-up process for regulatory purposes
• Develops and generates queries, exports, reports, and forms as needed for Southridge and the Southridge community
• Ensures source data and integration processes within databases for emergency procedures, unsubscribes, school rosters, LMS, student report cards etc. is accurate and consistent
• Participates and recommends on Technology Reports as required by the Director of Information Technology
• Oversight of annual data and processes
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
SOUTHRIDGE SCHOOL CORE DATABASES
• Blackbaud: Core, Enrollment Management, RENxt, FENxt
• Lightspeed (POS), Food Services (POS)
• Naviance, Managebac, Myblueprint
• Destiny, Renaissance, Dreambox
• Swift K-12
RESEARCH & INSTALL
• Based on identified needs of the school proactively identify projects and research options, develop recommendations, create, and document procedures and implement change
• As required design and develop custom reports, dashboards, and pivot tables
• Stay abreast of new technology, participate in related training and professional development
DATA PRIVACY & PROTECTION
• Familiar with Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation for review of current databases to ensure compliance with CASL
• Knowledge of PIPA legislation and privacy principles
• PIA assessments and privacy/data knowledge for third party vendors
• Incident response procedure and knowledge for data breach incidents
• Maintain confidentiality and use discretion with highly sensitive data
• Reports security and policy issues to the Director of Information Technology
• Work/consult with all departments with regards to maintaining data integrity and ensure proper integration with the school’s current systems.
• Assist with data for the student laptop program, enrollment management and other as required
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Bachelor’s degree or diploma in the Information Technology field such as, computer science, database administration, information system analyst or equivalent experience and education
• Extensive experience with major database languages and applications
• Three years to five years of database administration experience and technologies
• Thorough knowledge and proficiency with Blackbaud suite of products: Core, RENxt, FENxt, Enrollment Management
• Demonstrated analytical ability and thorough knowledge of both the development process and database systems to effectively determine how best to manage information.
• Excellent use of spreadsheet applications and strong word processing skills and reporting tools
• Proficient with Google Workspace, Adobe, Microsoft Office
• Knowledge of the independent school system is an asset or K-12 educational system
• Ability to multitask, work in a fast-paced environment and work with multiple priorities and deadlines with accuracy
• Ability to enforce database security, integrity, stability, and system availability
• Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions, and to communicate information effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to fulfill responsibilities with high standards in customer service and support of school philosophy and mission
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of employees, alumni students, parents, alumni parents, volunteers, and the public
• Strong interpersonal communications and collaboration skills and the ability to work as part of a team and independently
• Ability to exercise judgement and discretion with highly confidential information
• Flexibility to be available after hours, if required
The ideal candidate will be aligned with the values and mission of Southridge, will want to be an active member of a vibrant school community, and will demonstrate a desire to make a difference in the world. They will be someone who:
Is a lifelong learner
Has excellent study, critical thinking, and communication skills
Is a creative and independent thinker
Has a positive attitude
Seeks their passion
Believes in the value of trust, tolerance, compassion, and respect
Understands the sacrifice and reward of community service
Has an appreciation of, and a desire for, lifelong physical activity and fitness
Commits to personal wellness
Appreciates the arts and their contribution to a richer life
Can work effectively as part of a team
Southridge offers a competitive salary. In addition, we have a comprehensive benefits package, a generous RRSP matching program, access to health and wellness activities including generous support for professional learning and development. Preferred candidates will be required to complete a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
To learn more about our school, explore our website: southridge.bc.ca.
To apply for this position, please visit our ‘How to Apply’ page for step-by-step instructions on submitting an application through our online system. This posting will remain open until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those under consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.