Southridge is a co-ed, independent day school located in South Surrey, British Columbia with 680 students enrolled in Kindergarten through Grade 12. We have a tradition of developing well-rounded students who have a love of learning, strong moral character, and confidence to make the world a better place.
Southridge is affectionately described as ‘a lighthearted place of serious purpose’ and we want you to know…it’s true! If you’re passionate about working in an energizing environment with colleagues that value building strong relationships; fostering strong minds and good hearts through student-centered teaching and learning; and being a part of a great community that has fun and strives to make a difference, we want to hear from you!
BIOLOGY TEACHER – SENIOR SCHOOL (TEMPORARY – FULL-TIME)
We are currently inviting applications for the position of Biology Teacher working in the Senior School. This position will commence in December 2020 thru to January 2022.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Prepare and deliver Biology program requirements in assigned grade levels (8 to 12) following the BC Ministry of Education curriculum and/or Advanced Placement
• Collaboratively plan within the department to develop and design consistent and well-articulated programs
• Assess and report on student academic progress and effort, drawing attention to areas of achievement and areas requiring further development
• Supervise and manage student deportment, including behaviour and adherence to uniform expectations
• Monitors students’ academic, co-curricular, and personal growth as an advisor
• Attend and participate in core school functions and special events
• Fully participate in the co-curricular programme of the school
• Additional duties and responsibilities as outlined in the Faculty Handbook
• A Bachelor of Education degree, with undergraduate studies in Biology
• Hold a valid BC teaching certificate
• Experience teaching in a technology-rich environment is an asset
• Co-curricular coaching experience is valued
• Must be highly collegial and a collaborative team partner
• A keen willingness to learn and incorporate Harkness philosophy in lessons. Harkness philosophy is a student centered, discussion-based and collaborative learning approach.
• Advanced placement experience is an asset
• Experience teaching at the Senior School level in an independent school environment is an asset
• Effective interpersonal skills to establish connections with students and parents in the role of advisor
• Strong leadership skills combined with excellent communication and organization skills
• Excellent spoken and written communication skills
• A high level of initiative, energy and motivation
• The capacity to function effectively within a busy, high-functioning department and school
• The ability to plan, organize and evaluate programs
• A proactive and innovative approach to solving problems
• A proven understanding of children developmentally
Southridge offers a competitive salary and pays 3% above the Vancouver School District. In addition, we have a comprehensive benefits package and a generous RRSP matching program.
To apply for this position, please visit our ‘How to Apply’ page for step-by-step instructions on submitting an application through our online system. The closing date for this posting is October 22, 2020.
To learn more about our school, explore our website: southridge.bc.ca.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those under consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit www.southridge.ca.