Southridge is a co-ed, independent day school located in South Surrey, British Columbia with 680 students enrolled in Kindergarten through Grade 12. We have a tradition of developing well-rounded students who have a love of learning, strong moral character, and confidence to make the world a better place.
Southridge is affectionately described as ‘a lighthearted place of serious purpose’ and we want you to know…it’s true! If you’re passionate about working in an energizing environment with colleagues that value building strong relationships; fostering strong minds and good hearts through student-centered teaching and learning; and being a part of a great community that has fun and strives to make a difference, we want to hear from you!
FULL-TIME (1.0 FTE) JUNIOR SCHOOL (K-7) LEARNING COMMONS LEADER (IB PYP and MYP) (FULL-TIME)
This position begins in September 2022. We’ve got some exciting new developments on the horizon for a new learning common – if you are an innovative and passionate educator, we invite you to apply!
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Position and develop the role of the learning commons within the Junior School as a centre for information literacy, inquiry, research and academic honesty.
• Collaborate with the Vice-Principal, Learning, the IB PYP and MYP Coordinators, and the Junior School Technology Leader to identify areas where the integration of print and digital literacies will enhance teaching and learning across the K-7 continuum.
• Collaborate with the Junior School technology leader to maintain and integrate digital literacy scope and sequence documents.
• Lead the meaningful integration of print and digital media across the K-7 continuum by actively planning and co-teaching with and providing instructional coaching and support to K-7 faculty.
• Collaborate with classroom and specialist teachers to design, implement and co-teach lessons within PYP units of inquiry and MYP units of study, with a focus on developing strong research, communication, information literacy, and academic honesty skills.
• Nurture and promote a love of reading across all grades, K-7.
• Support and guide students as they select appropriate print and digital media to support the development of information literacies and reading for pleasure.
• Evaluate, select and promote learning resources in different formats (print and multi-media) to support and enhance the K-7 instructional program.
• Collaborate with the Senior School Teacher Librarian with an eye on the K-12 continuum of skills and literacies.
• Ensure that students, faculty and parents are effective users of the learning commons and its systems.
• Oversee the running and ongoing maintenance of the Accelerated Reader program.
• Oversee the organization of learning commons databases and systems.
• Organize and promote author visits and a yearly book fair.
• Manage learning commons programs, services, resources and staff, including parent volunteers.
• Collaborate with and build connections with other teacher librarians to emulate and extend leading practices.
• Manage the Learning Commons budget.
• Participate in the co-curricular program of the school.
• Attend and participate in core school functions and special events.
• Additional duties and responsibilities as outlined in the Southridge Faculty Handbook.
Qualifications and Key Characteristics:
• Bachelor of Education (B.Ed), K-7 focus
• Master of Library and Information Sciences (MLIS), Diploma in Teacher-Librarianship, or related coursework
• Valid BC teaching certificate
• Experience teaching at the elementary school level (K-7) in an independent school environment, preferably within an IB World School
• Experience working in a school library/learning commons environment
• Experience teaching in a technology-rich environment
• Experience with the International Baccalaureate Primary and/or Middle Years Programs is considered an asset
• International Baccalaureate PYP or MYP Category 2 training is preferred
• Experience with the Accelerated Reader (AR) program and Follett Destiny ILS preferred
• Strong organizational, communication and leadership skills
• Proven commitment and strong ability to collaborate with colleagues in shared planning and decision making, and to develop a strong and caring professional learning community that aligns with school-defined strategic goals and initiatives
• Passion for continuous professional learning and growth that aligns with and supports the strategic directions of the school
• Highly collegial and professional team member
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills
• A willingness to embrace the Southridge mission, vision, and values
Southridge offers a competitive salary and pays 3% above the Vancouver School District. In addition, we have a comprehensive benefits package, a generous RRSP matching program, opportunities for wellness, and a strong commitment to supporting the lifelong learning and professional development of our teaching faculty.
To learn more about who we are please explore our website: southridge.bc.ca.
To apply for this position, please visit our ‘How to Apply’ page for step-by-step instructions on submitting an application through our online system. The closing date for this posting is Thursday, November 22, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those under consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit www.southridge.ca.