Southpointe Academy is a leading edge International Baccalaureate (IB) Continuum School surrounded by the ocean, beaches and natural beauty of South Delta. As a co-educational, secular day school serving nearly 600 students from Kindergarten to Grade 12, Southpointe is known for its strong sense of community, collaborative culture and commitment to professional development. The school fosters caring relationships with students and develops young people of character who make a positive difference in the world.
Southpointe features world leading programming through its highly acclaimed IB Primary Years (Grade K-5) and Middle Years (Grade 6-10) programmes. The school will be adding the IB Diploma Programme to complete its innovative offering of IB from entry to graduation. The educational programme is supported through modern, purpose-built facilities and amenities.
Southpointe is seeking an energetic, outgoing and collaborative teacher who shares a commitment to inquiry- and concept-based teaching and learning. Reporting to the Junior School Principal, the Junior School Performing Arts Teacher position will commence August 27, 2021 for the 2021-2022 school year.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
*These may include, but are not limited to…
- Develop an inquiry-based, creative and dynamic PYP Performing Arts (Music) program;
- Coordinate, lead and facilitate winter and spring performances;
- Introduce students to a range of musical instruments;
- Support Choir as an extracurricular club for students;
- Integrate Drama activities in lessons;
- Design, prepare and deliver learning experiences that facilitate authentic engagement;
- Demonstrate strong pedagogical practice in Music/Drama education instruction;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to support the development of a transdisciplinary approach to teaching and learning;
- Identify and select instructional resources and methods to meet diverse student needs;
- Foster caring, committed and supportive relationships with students and families;
- Create an environment that promotes an atmosphere of mutual respect and care;
- Use engaging technology to enhance instruction and learning;
- Design and implement a range of authentic learning assessments that provide timely
feedback to students and clear direction to parents;
- Maintain accurate, ongoing and complete records of student progress for the purposes of teaching, learning and reporting;
- Prepare reports, conduct conferences and communicate with parents on an ongoing basis in order to foster an open and supportive relationship;
- Model a strong work ethic, high standard of commitment, and maintain excellent professionalism in all interactions with colleagues, students and parents.
All Southpointe educators provide co-curricular activities for students by either devising their own programmes or participating in the school’s Athletics offerings throughout the three different sporting seasons.
- Bachelor of Education or Equivalent;
- BC Ministry of Education: Certificate of Qualification or Independent School Teaching Certificate.
- IB PYP training or teaching experience;
- At least 1-2 years teaching experience;
- Valid First Aid Certificate.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary based on the school’s approved teacher salary scale;
- Extended health and dental plan;
- RRSP matching;
- Staff wellness program;
- Subsidised school lunch programme;
- Regular professional development;
- Curriculum leadership opportunities.
Applications must be submitted to [email protected]
- Cover letter;
- Copy of BC Ministry of Education: Certificate of Qualification or Independent School Teaching Certificate;
- Two letters of reference, one of which must be from your most recent Principal/Supervisor;
- Most recent teaching evaluation.
Please see our website for additional opportunities.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada or be in the process of obtaining the appropriate visa(s).
Southpointe Academy encourages applications from suitably qualified candidates with diverse backgrounds. We value each community member’s identity, perspective and well-being, and embrace our differences as a sign of strength. We believe in diversity, equity and inclusion and are committed to equal employment opportunities.
To apply for this job please visit www.southpointe.ca.