Southpointe Academy is a leading edge International Baccalaureate (IB) Continuum School surrounded by the ocean, beaches and natural beauty of South Delta. As a co-educational, secular day school serving nearly 600 students from Kindergarten to Grade 12, Southpointe is known for its strong sense of community, collaborative culture and commitment to professional development. The school fosters caring relationships with students and develops young people of character who make a positive difference in the world.
Southpointe features world leading programming through its highly acclaimed IB Primary Years (Grade K-5) and Middle Years (Grade 6-10) programmes. The school will be adding the IB Diploma Programme to complete its innovative offering of IB from entry to graduation. The educational programme is supported through modern, purpose-built facilities and amenities.
Southpointe is seeking an enthusiastic, dedicated and collaborative teacher who shares a commitment to inquiry- and concept-based teaching and learning. Reporting to the Junior School Principal, the position will commence August 27, 2021 for the 2021-2022 school year.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
*These may include, but are not limited to…
- Working knowledge of learning differences and implications for the classroom;
- Knowledge and expertise of materials, strategies and programs available for students with a variety of different learning differences that may require support;
- Document and communicate ongoing progress of students to teachers, administrators and parents;
- Create and update IEP’s (Individualized Education Plans) that outline student goals and ensure their implementation;
- Use appropriate assessment and diagnostic procedures for determining and structuring IEP’s and SSP’s (Student Support Plans);
- Provide direct instruction to students ensuring individualized programs suited to their learning needs;
- Understanding of Psycho-Educational assessments and interpretation of reports;
- Partner with external providers (e.g. educational psychologists, occupational therapists, vision teachers, and O&Ms) to coordinate in school support;
- Prepare and/or assist with reports to the Ministry of Children and Family Development
Collaborate and communicate with other members of faculty;
- Adhere to the ethical standards of the teaching profession and practice in accordance with federal, provincial, and local laws, statutes, and/or policies that relate to students and families, including child protection/child abuse, special education, attendance, education rights and privacy;
- Advance students’ educational achievement through executive functioning skill development and goal setting, assisting with the development of students’ learning plans as well as activities that promote effective work and study habits;
- Serve as a case manager for students with identified learning challenges.
- Bachelor of Education with some training in teaching students with learning differences;
- Additional qualifications in counselling and/or special education certification;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Experience in the writing and implementation of IEPs.
- BC Ministry of Education: Certificate of Qualification or Independent School Teaching Certificate;
- IB PYP training or teaching experience;
- At least 2 years teaching experience;
- Valid First Aid Certificate.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary based on the school’s approved teacher salary scale;
- Extended health and dental plan;
- RRSP matching;
- Staff wellness program;
- Subsidised school lunch programme;
- Regular professional development;
- Curriculum leadership opportunities.
Applications must be submitted to [email protected]:
- Cover letter;
- Copy of BC Ministry of Education: Certificate of Qualification or Independent School Teaching Certificate;
- Two letters of reference, one of which must be from your most recent Principal/Supervisor;
- Most recent teaching evaluation.
Please see our website for additional opportunities.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada or be in the process of obtaining the appropriate visa(s).
Southpointe Academy encourages applications from suitably qualified candidates with diverse backgrounds. We value each community member’s identity, perspective and well-being, and embrace our differences as a sign of strength. We believe in diversity, equity and inclusion and are committed to equal employment opportunities.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.