Southpointe Academy is a leading edge International Baccalaureate (IB) Continuum School surrounded by the ocean, beaches and natural beauty of South Delta. As a co-educational, secular day school serving 660 students from Kindergarten to Grade 12, Southpointe is known for its strong sense of community, collaborative culture and commitment to professional development. The school fosters caring relationships with students and develops young people of character who make a positive difference in the world.
Southpointe features world leading programming through its highly acclaimed IB Primary Years (Grade K-5) and Middle Years (Grade 6-10) programmes. Southpointe is also officially authorized for the IB Diploma Programme (Grade 11-12), which completes its innovative offering of IB from entry to graduation. The educational programme is supported through modern, purpose-built facilities and amenities.
Reporting to the Divisional Vice-Principal, the Teacher Assistant – Behaviour Interventionist is required to assist teachers in the planning, development, accommodation, preparation, and implementation of the curriculum commencing August 25, 2023.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists teachers in the planning, development, accommodation, preparation, and implementation of curriculum, classroom materials and schedules to meet the needs of designated student(s);
- Assists teachers in the planning and implementation of individualized and/or group behaviour programs in specialized or integrated settings, such as regular or resource classrooms;
- Reinforces concepts introduced by teachers and implements instructional programs designed by teachers;
- Participates in the design and implementation of appropriate behaviour management strategies and provides assistance with monitoring and reinforcement;
- Maintains regular communications with the supervising teacher and other team members including, parents and other relevant professionals;
Observes and records student progress, maintains detailed written records as required;
- Supervises student(s) both on and off the school campus as required;
- Operates standard school and office equipment, including personal computer applications, instructional aid communications, and special individualized equipment;
- May work with students with cognitive and/or physical challenges, including students with diagnosed neurodevelopmental conditions such as Autism Spectrum Disorder;
- May carry out emergency procedures;
- Remains current with changing technology, practices and equipment;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a secondary school graduation program or equivalent;
- Proven ability to implement behaviour management techniques as well as flexibility in response to student behaviours (e.g. adjusting and adapting strategies);
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively while following the direction and guidance of classroom/resource teacher(s);
- Ability to operate a variety of office and school equipment, including equipment specific to the needs of the student(s);
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills;
Ability to use judgment when providing information;
- Physically capable of performing the duties of the position;
Knowledge of safe work practices.
- Completion of a recognized post-secondary Educational Assistant program, including or supplemented by training in conflict resolution, and non-violent crisis intervention or equivalent combination of training and experience;
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) training;
- 1 year of recent experience specific to the needs of the student(s) with severe behaviour problems, autism, pervasive developmental disorders, etc., is an asset;
- 1 year of recent experience related to meeting the needs of student(s);
- Knowledge and understanding of the appropriate grade level curriculum.
Hours of Work:
- Monday – Friday, 8:15am to 3:15pm when students are in attendance.
Salary and Benefits:
- As per Collective Agreement: $29.06 per hour;
- Subsidized lunch program.
Please submit your application with the following supporting documents to [email protected]:
- Cover Letter;
- Two letters of reference from past supervisors.
Please see our website for additional opportunities.
Southpointe Academy encourages applications from suitably qualified candidates with diverse backgrounds. We value each community member’s identity, perspective and well-being, and embrace our differences as a sign of strength. We believe in diversity, equity and inclusion and are committed to equal employment opportunities.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.