Social Studies Teacher
Shawnigan is always looking for outstanding, worldly and world-class, diverse, and ambitious educators to inspire our students and to model our three pillars of Academic Excellence, Co-Curricular Distinction and Student Life Unparalleled. As a teacher at Shawnigan, you will contribute to all facets of life on an international boarding school campus with 85% of our students as full-time boarders, representing thirty different countries from around the world. We offer a competitive compensation package and a nurturing, family-friendly workplace.
Shawnigan Lake School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff (and volunteers) to share this commitment. Candidates will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with previous employers and a vulnerable sector criminal record check.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada or if not, receive all appropriate visa and permissions to legally work in Canada;
- Hold a post-secondary degree in Social Studies, History, Geography or related discipline that aligns with the Shawnigan academic program;
- Be in possession of, or has already applied for, a British Columbia Teaching Certificate (Independent or Certificate of Qualification);
- Experience teaching Social Studies (history, geography, economics etc.)
- Ability to teach French immersion Social Studies is an asset
- Training and experience in teaching the six historical thinking concepts is an asset
- Proven record of professionalism, punctuality, flexibility, dependability, and reliability;
- Have experience working with teenagers;
- Have experience working in a boarding environment an asset;
- Experience instructing a co-curricular such as basketball, rowing, tennis, hockey, music or other. For a full list of our co-curricular offerings, visit our Arts-360 and Athletics program pages;
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills;
Please visit our Careers Page for the full job posting, or to apply, please send a resume and cover letter specifically expressing your interest in working at Shawnigan, along with copies of your qualifications to the attention of Paul Klassen, Head of Department, via email at [email protected].
Those who are brought forward into the interview process will receive further details about compensation, benefits and the duties and expectations of a full-time Shawnigan teacher. We ask you to please provide references at the shortlist stage of the recruitment process.
Shawnigan Lake School is an equal opportunity employer committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
We express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Competition closes when filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.