Shawnigan Lake School is a leading independent co-educational boarding school for ages 12-18 (grades 8-12) on Canada’s beautiful west coast. Our world-class facilities situated on a stunning 270-acre campus include eleven boarding houses, a theatre, film lab, an observatory, salmon hatchery, rowing crew house on the lake, dance studio, state of the art Learning Commons and Library, recording studio, and robotics lab. Our diverse, inter-disciplinary and innovative programming helps shape the next generation of global leaders.
For more information, explore our Shawnigan at a Glance.
Shawnigan provides academic ambition to develop a culture of collaboration, independence and resilience in our students through educators and peers who inspire our students to embrace a love of learning by challenging them to solve problems critically and creatively.
Staff endorse our School’s values (Curiosity, Compassion, Community and Courage) and are deeply committed to our mission: Spark Minds, Kindle Hearts, Forge Futures.
Shawnigan is always looking for outstanding, worldly and world-class, diverse, and ambitious educators to inspire our students and to model our three pillars of Academic Excellence, Co-Curricular Distinction and Student Life Unparalleled. As a teacher at Shawnigan, you will contribute to all facets of life on an international boarding school campus with 85% of our students as full-time boarders, representing thirty different countries from around the world. We offer a competitive compensation package and a nurturing, family-friendly workplace.
Shawnigan Lake School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff (and volunteers) to share this commitment. Candidates will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with previous employers and a vulnerable sector criminal record check.
DEPARTMENT HEAD OF ENGLISH
Shawnigan is looking to appoint a Department Head of English commencing September 2023. This position will not only teach classes, but will also be a member of the Academic Council and will report to the Assistant Head – Academics.
The successful candidate will teach English courses alongside their leadership role by taking on the role of Department Head of English for all aspects of the English courses at the School. The successful candidate will oversee the successful delivery of all courses to ensure that they align with BC Ministry of Education and/or AP College Board requirements.
- The Department Head of English is responsible for the following within the English department:
- Carry assigned load of classes and student instruction while meeting all of Shawnigan’s prep, planning and reporting protocols as expected in the teaching profession;
- Collaborate with fellow department members and across departments to design and deliver content that challenges our students and prepares them for their post-secondary pathways;
- Be available to support students in their learning through tutorials or enrichment opportunities;
- Teacher Development including facilitating communication, mentoring, professional development and goal setting;
- Department Development including developing assessment policies and practice, setting goals, and fostering department collegiality;
- Curriculum Development including coordinating course outlines, developing curriculum and identifying new approaches to curriculum, monitoring student evaluation, and addressing student academic discipline;
- Department Management including managing the department budget, student course selection and placement, organizing regular department meetings, and managing the meeting of expectation and deadlines of department members for marks, report card comments and School commitments;
- Academic Department Initiatives including involvement in Academic Council and liaising with other Department Heads to encourage cross-curricular initiatives
- Develop and maintain a Departmental Strategic Plan;
- Coordinate meaningful engagement and learning opportunities that embrace First Peoples’ Principles of Learning;
- Coordinate meaningful engagement and learning opportunities that align with diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives of the Be A Jedi Committee;
- Be involved in the full Shawnigan program and the delivery of “The Shawnigan Journey.”
- Legally entitled to work in Canada or if not, receive all appropriate visa and permissions to legally work in Canada;
- Must hold a post-secondary degree in English or Education;
- Be in possession of, or eligible to apply for a British Columbia Teaching Certificate (Independent School or Certificate of Qualification) before September 1, 2023;
- A minimum of 2 years senior leadership heading up an English department experience is essential
- Experience creating new curricular materials is essential
- Experience revising and implementing new scope and sequence guidelines across all grade levels (8-12);
- Experience teaching grade 8-12 English;
- Knowledge of English First Peoples curriculum an asset;
- Experience teaching AP Language and/or AP Literature an asset;
- Have a proven record of professionalism, punctuality, flexibility, dependability and reliability;
- Have experience working with teenagers;
- Have experience working in a boarding environment an asset;
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills;
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter specifically expressing your interest in working at Shawnigan to the attention of Wendy Milne, Assistant Head, Academics, via email at [email protected]
Those who are brought forward into the interview process will receive further details about compensation, benefits and the duties and expectations of a full-time Shawnigan teacher.
We ask you to please provide references at the shortlist stage of the recruitment process.
Shawnigan Lake School is an equal opportunity employer committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
We express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline for application is March 30, 2023.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.