Shawnigan Lake School is a leading independent co-educational boarding school for ages 12-18 (grades 8-12) on Canada’s beautiful west coast. Our world-class facilities situated on a stunning 270-acre campus include eleven boarding houses, an observatory, salmon hatchery, rowing crew house on the lake, state of the art Learning Commons and Library, recording studio, and robotics lab. Our diverse, inter-disciplinary and innovative programming helps shape the next generation of global leaders.
Shawnigan Lake School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Candidates will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with previous employers and a vulnerable sector criminal record check.
The Security Officer ensures a safe and secure campus for all students, staff, visitors, and faculty, while remaining alert to emergencies and providing first-line response, emergency management, and/or referral if required.
The Security Officer has strong observation and communication skills, the ability to maintain self-control and the ability to make quick decisions during emergencies.
This is a full-time position, typically 40 hours per week, requiring flexibility in scheduling. Shifts will be variable and are expected to include afternoons, evenings and nights, including some weekend night shifts and some statutory holidays.
This position offers a wage range of $23.00 to $26.46 per hour, a comprehensive benefits package, and a nurturing, family-friendly workplace. Actual salary offered will be commensurate with education, experience and internal parity.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Complete foot and mobile (when needed) patrol checks of all buildings and surrounding areas on campus
- Complete reports on all incidents and questionable activities
- Maintain complete confidentiality regarding all security matters on campus and work closely with local RCMP detachment as required
- Be aware of all vehicles entering campus after hours
- Maintain awareness of health and safety practices and procedures and act in accordance with these
- Maintain a sound working knowledge regarding Lockdown procedures including criteria for activation and take immediate and appropriate steps in the event of a Lockdown
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
- Grade 12 diploma required
- 1-2 years of related experience with direct experience in security preferred
- Basic Security Training course completion and BC Security Workers License are required
- Current OFA Level 2 First-Aid and CPR certifications preferred
- Ability to successfully conduct security patrols without direct supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter expressing your interest to the attention of Ciaran Gargan, Director of Operations, via email at [email protected] . Applications may also be mailed to:
Attention: Human Resources
Shawnigan Lake School
1975 Renfrew Road
Shawnigan Lake, BC V0R 2W1
Shawnigan Lake School is an equal opportunity employer committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
We express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Competition closes when filled.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.