University Guidance Counsellor
Shawnigan Lake School is a leading independent co-educational boarding school for ages 12-18 (grades 8-12) on Canada’s beautiful west coast. Our world-class facilities situated on a stunning 270-acre campus include eleven boarding houses, a theatre, film lab, an observatory, salmon hatchery, rowing crew house on the lake, dance studio, state of the art Learning Commons and Library, recording studio, and robotics lab. Our diverse, inter-disciplinary and innovative programming helps shape the next generation of global leaders.
For more information, explore our Shawnigan at a Glance.
Shawnigan provides academic ambition to develop a culture of collaboration, independence and resilience in our students through educators and peers who inspire our students to embrace a love of learning by challenging them to solve problems critically and creatively.
Staff endorse our School’s values (Curiosity, Compassion, Community and Courage) and are deeply committed to our mission: Spark Minds, Kindle Hearts, Forge Futures.
We offer a competitive compensation package and a nurturing, family-friendly workplace. The salary range for this position is $67,232 – $107,035 per year. Actual salary offered will be commensurate with education, experience and internal parity.
Shawnigan Lake School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff (and volunteers) to share this commitment. Candidates will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with previous employers and a vulnerable sector criminal record check.
UNIVERSITY GUIDANCE COUNSELLOR
Shawnigan is seeking a highly motivated and talented University Guidance Counsellor. This is a full-time opportunity.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide advice and support to a diverse student body;
- Help develop the university application process for Shawnigan students;
- Provide advice, assistance, and resources to students and families relating to university and scholarship applications;
- Support students with standardized university admissions testing and requirements, supplementary applications, and university program planning;
- Assist in determining the passions, values, and interests of students to provide a well-balanced approach to academic and university planning;
- Organize and implement workshops, written materials, and website information throughout the year on topics relating to university admissions;
- Meet with university admission representatives and facilitate meetings with representatives and students;
- Work closely with other guidance department members and teachers to develop guidance curriculum as it relates to university applications and student success;
- Collaborate with fellow department members and across departments to design and deliver content that challenges our students and prepares them for their post-secondary pathways;
- Be available to support students in their learning through tutorials or enrichment opportunities;
- Be involved in the full Shawnigan program and the delivery of “The Shawnigan Journey.”
- Legally entitled to work in Canada or if not, receive all appropriate visa and permissions to legally work in Canada;
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Preferred);
- Minimum of 1 year university/college guidance counselling experience;
- Experience with Canadian, US, and Asia admission policies and practices;
- Experience assisting high school students with university and scholarship applications;
- Administrative experience working directly with students in a university, college or high school environment;
- Strong and current networks with post-secondary institutions nationally and internationally strongly preferred;
- Proficiency in English essential, multilingual (French, Mandarin, Spanish etc.) preferred;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to build relationships with students, families, colleagues and university representatives;
- Experience with teaching Career Education an asset.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter specifically expressing your interest in working at Shawnigan, along with copies of your qualifications to the attention of Michelle Flood, Director of University Guidance, via email at [email protected].
We ask you to please provide references at the shortlist stage of the recruitment process.
Shawnigan Lake School is an equal opportunity employer committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
We express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Position closes 5pm (PST) November 24, 2023
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.