Shawnigan Lake School is a leading independent co-educational boarding school for ages 12-18 (grades 8-12) on Canada’s beautiful west coast. Our world-class facilities situated on a stunning 270-acre campus include eleven boarding houses, a theatre, film lab, an observatory, salmon hatchery, rowing crew house on the lake, dance studio, state of the art Learning Commons and Library, recording studio, and robotics lab. Our diverse, inter-disciplinary and innovative programming helps shape the next generation of global leaders.
For more information, explore our Shawnigan at a Glance.
Staff endorse our School’s values (Curiosity, Compassion, Community and Courage) and are deeply committed to our mission: Spark Minds, Kindle Hearts, Forge Futures.
We offer a competitive compensation package and a nurturing, family-friendly workplace.
Shawnigan Lake School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff (and volunteers) to share this commitment. Candidates will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with previous employers and a vulnerable sector criminal record check.
The Advancement & Community Engagement Department is a dynamic team, working to strengthen Shawnigan Lake School through alumni, parent, and community engagement and fundraising. The Advancement Associate is an integral part of the team that fosters and promotes connections with and among the Shawnigan community through events, communications, social media, fundraising, volunteer coordination, and stewardship.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Working closely with the Director of Alumni Relations and as a member of the Advancement & Community Engagement team, coordinate and deliver an annual calendar of alumni events, programming, and communications that engage alumni in meaningful ways with the School
- Collaborate with the Communications, Student Life, Admissions, and Events teams to find synergies with School-wide events
- Grow our volunteer structure of Alumni Ambassadors, Class Captains, and Mentors that broadens the base of involvement and engagement in the alumni community
- Attend School events to develop a personal profile and network in the Shawnigan community
- Seek connections with a broad base of alumni, parents, and past parents, coordinating efforts with the Advancement team and stewarding individuals that are likely to support Shawnigan philanthropically
- Work with the Communications Department to develop, monitor, and moderate online / social media engagement with alumni, past parents, and friends of the School, including crisis communications as needed
- Research key constituents to identify potential areas of interest and levels of support
- Foster a culture of philanthropy in the Shawnigan community, encouraging people to give back to their school through volunteerism or participation in annual and major giving campaigns
- Help to develop the Annual Fund and work with the Advancement team on strategic fundraising initiatives, such as personalized approaches and stewardship, to help increase the number of donors each year
- Develop authentic relationships with engaged and supportive community members
- Ensure constituent database information associated with the role is managed and updated in a timely manner, including action notes on strategic interactions with key community members into database
- Attend weekly Advancement & Community Engagement team meetings and represent alumni interests on the JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion) Committee
- Attend all Alumni Engagement Committee meetings and assist the
- Committee and Chair of the Alumni Engagement Committee as needed
- Assist with other Advancement & Community Engagement departmental projects as needed
- Pursue related professional development and volunteer opportunities on an ongoing basis.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Experience in Event Management, Communications, Public Relations and/or related discipline
- Experience in fundraising for a not-for-profit organization an asset
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge NXT or similar CRM database platform an asset
- A combination of relevant education and experience will be considered
- Knowledge and experience in public relations, events and/or community development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs)
- Outstanding organization and time management skills
- Proven attention to detail and ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter specifically expressing your interest in working at Shawnigan, along with copies of your qualifications to the attention of Megan Anderson, Human Resources, via email at [email protected].
Shawnigan Lake School is an equal opportunity employer committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
We express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Position closes when filled.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.