Post-Secondary Counsellor, Senior School
Full-Time/Part Time (Flexibility in schedule and possibility of remote work)
Brockton School: Inspiring the Growth of Outstanding Humans.
Imagine working at a school where every student matters, every family matters, community matters, and learning for life matters. Imagine a school where priority is given to the holistic development of students, alongside a robust academic and extended day program; a school where faculty and staff engage a sense of purpose within a supportive environment. Imagine a place where there is genuine support and engagement from an authentic and diverse community – a community that has the courage to embrace the innovation and creativity needed for the future. Imagine Brockton School!
Brockton School is a nondenominational coeducational Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12, independent school, located in North Vancouver, British Columbia. As an IB World Continuum School, Brockton offers the Primary Years, Middle Years, Diploma, and Career-Related programmes (one of a handful of schools around the globe with such innovative programming).
Brockton School is not only a place of employment, it is a place of purpose.
Faculty and Staff receive healthy and competitive compensation packages and have the joy of working with low staff:student ratios in a supportive, innovative, and collaborative environment. Brockton prioritizes ongoing professional development and supports staff on their own personal/professional journey. Brockton’s mission is to inspire the growth of outstanding humans – and that includes inspiring the continual growth of our faculty and staff.
If you are looking to be a part of something special, to be in a place where your voice will be heard and your impact valued, to be in a role that will allow you to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others with multiple opportunities for advancement, please see the opportunity below.
Post-Secondary Counsellor, Senior School
Brockton School Post-Secondary Counsellors have dual responsibilities: academic advising and post-secondary guidance. Post-Secondary Counsellors must have a good knowledge of independent school academic programs and of the array of post-secondary options. In addition to advising students/parents about post-secondary pathways and options, the successful candidate will also be responsible for guiding a portion of Senior School students through academic planning leading to their post-secondary transition; this is done through individual meetings, family meetings, classroom teaching, workshops, and large group presentations.
* Work in partnership with the Principal of the Senior School, Student Services Director, Department Chairs, Career Education teacher(s), the Registrar, and fellow Post Secondary counsellors to set deliverables, timelines and accountabilities to carry out annual strategies and initiatives.
* Conduct student and parent meetings and provide counsel on students academic plans to ensure alignment with post-secondary plans.
* Work collaboratively with other members of the department to provide excellent post-secondary and academic planning advice.
* Help students maintain accurate records tracking applications, acceptances, denials, scholarship offers etc.
* Provide information and support the process for external standardized tests.
* Assist with student applications for scholarship and awards; write and review letters of recommendation
* Review and advise on student writing done for applications as requested.
* Host or facilitate attendance at University visits.
* Support parent and student information events.
* Track admission and scholarship data.
* Stay current on post secondary requirements, opportunities, and associated processes.
* Work with the registrar to ensure various items are prioritized including but not limited to PSIs, student transcripts, transcript delivery, etc.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience:
* Essential: B.C. Ministry of Education Certificate or Independent School Certification
* Relevant university qualifications (e.g. Bachelor of Education)
* Graduate degree, an asset
* Ideally a minimum of 3 years of experience in Post-secondary Planning
* Experience in an independent school, an asset
* Understanding of Post-secondary application process in UK, US, and Canada
* Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills
* Demonstrated ability to be innovative, flexible, and reflective
* Strong organizational skills with excellent attention to detail
* Energy and readiness to participate in the diverse life of the School community
* A commitment to continued professional development and growth
Please note that applicants must already have legal standing to work and teach in British Columbia. Criminal Record Check clearance is a condition of initial and ongoing employment.
Brockton holds diversity and inclusivity to be core values. If you would like to express an interest in this position, please submit a cover letter followed by a resume as one attachment (MS Word or PDF format) and quote the position of interest in the subject line of your email: [email protected]
This posting will remain open for applicants until successfully filled.
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.