Kenneth Gordon Maplewood School is a centre of excellence in developmentally informed instruction that empowers children with learning disabilities in a passionate, progressive and inspiring learning environment.
The KGMS Mathematics position has responsibility for assigned math classes, is responsible for supporting collaborating teachers with the day-to-day instruction and management of the math curriclum classes, and for promoting the mathematics aims and objectives of the school and maintaining its philosophy of education.
Secondary to this, this position will work as an integral part of the grade 10 case management team. Special Education qualifications would be an asset, as
well as teachables in Applied Skills.
● To create and manage a caring, supportive, purposeful and stimulating environment which is conducive to children’s learning.
● To collaborate with the classroom teachers with planning and preparing a scope and sequence, as well as unit plans for the mathematics program using the Understanding by Design unit templates in Atlas.
● Assist with the development and implementation of curriculum, technology resources and other appropriate accommodations that address special needs students e.g. gifted, ELL, special education.
● Experience developing and implementing creative classroom lessons that are inclusive for all students
● To plan and prepare mathematics lessons in order to deliver the British Columbia curriculum ensuring breadth and balance in all subjects.
● To identify clear teaching objectives and learning outcomes, with appropriate challenge and high expectations.
● To confer with the mathematics team on balanced numeracy goals and progress being made toward meeting those goals.
● To organize and manage groups or individual students ensuring
differentiation of learning needs, reflecting all abilities.
● To maintain a regular system of monitoring, assessment, record-keeping and reporting of
● To ensure effective use of support staff within the classroom.
● Contribute to the development and coordination of a particular area of the
curriculum, and to ensure that school policies are reflected in daily practice.
● To be part of a whole school team, actively involved in decision-making on the
preparation and development of policies and programmes of study, teaching
materials, resources, methods of teaching and pastoral arrangements.
● To meet with parents and appropriate agencies, to contribute positively to the
education of the children concerned.
● Familiar with the British Columbia mathematics curriculum
● Knowledge of learning disabilities
● Knowledge of how students learn and special education
● Knowledge of balanced numeracy practices
● Knowledge of how student learn mathematics
● Knowledge of cross curriculum integration
● Knowledge of current assessment best practices (FOR/OF/AS)
● Knowledge of formative mathematics assessment, experience with MAP Growth an asset
● BC Teacher Certification appropriate for grade level teaching
● Additional qualifications or experience in inclusive education an asset
Salary and benefits paid as per the collective agreement. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring a barrier-free work environment. We welcome applications from all qualified job seekers, from BIPOC (black, indigenous, and people of colour), persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQ (persons of all sexual orientations and genders). If you are an applicant with a disability, we will work with you to make reasonable workplace accommodations you may need for your best work performance.
How to apply
Please email your expression of interest to Head of School, Suzanne MacLeod, at [email protected] Posting will remain open until filled.
Kenneth Gordon Maplewood School will only use and retain personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.