Position Title: Facilities Manager
Department: Facilities Department
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Operations
Nature and Scope
The Facilities Manager provides leadership to the maintenenace team and organizes and oversees all daily, short term and long term operations of the maintenance department. This includes and is not limited to all routine maintenance, campus improvements, capital planning, and solving day to day operational issues. The successful candidate will have an overall knowledge of most building aspects and will have a keen attention to detail, quality of workmanship and materials utilized to deliver optimal maintenance services to the school. The ideal candidate has a proven track record in building strong and successful teams, providing a clear vision of departmental goals, and is excited to advance the department into a new era of innovation.
• Responsible for hiring, training and staffing the maintenance department;
• Provides leadership, setting clear objectives and providing regular coaching and feedback to support employee growth, career development, and quality performance;
• Responsible for the overall safety of the Facilties Dept, including being an active member of our campus Joint Health and Safety Committee and establishing safe operating procedures;
• Perform routine campus inspections;
• Manage the daily maintenance activities of the team work orders, work schedules, timesheet approvals, ensuring daily tasks and procedures are followed out safely, correctly and in a timely manner;
• Responible for the overall coordation for campus events such as Regattas, Tournaments and Special Events;
• Responsible for procuring, maintaining and replacing equipment necessary to support the Operations
dept (such as manlifts, shop equipment, grounds equipment, transport fleet and boats);
• Maintain operating budgets and work with the Facilities team to establish long term Campus renewal budgets and priorities;
• Promote professional relationships with staff, suppliers, contractors and consultants, as well as local authorities having jurisdiction such as CVRD, Health authority, Fire dept and others;
• Provide overall vision and planning to campus projects, annual summer upgrades including timelines, budgets, material selection and quality assurance;
• Ensure maintenance projects are effectively communicated and coordinated with other departments to facilitate operational needs and school programing;
• Work with the facilities team, contractors and suppliers to prepare project budgets;
• Responsible for campus security (staffing, key systems, automation)
• Responsible for hiring a large seasonal crew of summer employees to help support the busy summer rental and maintenance program;
• Liase with Senior Management about campus planning, projects and events;
• Respond to changing business needs including emergency situations;
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
• 3 to 5 years’ of related experience. Assets would include working in a similar role;
• Grade 12 Education; University/College degree in a related field is considered an asset;
• Current BC Driver’s license;
• Safe driving recording strongly preferred;
• First aid (Level 1) an asset.
Knowledge and Skills
• An overall understanding of the various aspects of the building industry;
• Strong leadership skills with the ability to team build and maintain a collaborative team;
• Ability to supervise, delegate and coach staff;
• Great analytical skills for problem solving, trouble shooting, continuous improvement;
• Ability to provide a high level of service in a positive and productive manner;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Knowledge of safety protocols and procedures;
• Proficient computer skills;
• Has exceptional time management and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize needs;
• High degree of resourcefulness, flexibility, adaptability, and good judgement;
• Communicate and collaborate with team to solve operational issues.
• This is a full-time position overseeing a department that operates 7 days per week;
• The department must be available to respond to emergency situations outside of regular hours;
• Good physical conditioning, agility and strength lifting up to 50 pounds, bending, twisting, reaching, grasping etc.;
• High level of mental effort in reading and organizing, as well as handling repetitive tasks amid distractions and interruptions.;
• Ability to perform professionally under potential high stress situations such as, emergencies, project deadlines, staffing conflicts and similar situations;
• This position consists mostly of administrative work but may at times require hands on maintenance and construction work as required and according to operational needs;
• Required to work outdoors in varying weather conditions;
• Must be legally entitled to work in Canada;
• Successful clearance of a Criminal Record Check is a condition of employment.
Qualified applicants should forward their applications, including cover letter and résumé, to the attention of Human Resources by no later than at 5pm on Friday October 22, 2021.
Fax (250) 743-8446 | [email protected] | 2735 Mt. Baker Road, Mill Bay, BC V0R 2P1
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.