Job Position Title: High School Math or Middle School Math Teacher (MYP and/or DP)
Start Date: August 24, 2023
Status: 1.0 FTE
Meadowridge School is an independent, co-educational, secular day school offering an IB education to over 670 students ages 4 to 17 (JK to 12). The school campus is located on a 27-acre, forested parcel of land on the outskirts of Maple Ridge, BC. Our campus and facilities have been carefully designed to align with our connection and appreciation of the natural world. Our physical spaces reflect the importance of movement, play and interaction with the outdoors. Exterior doors from classrooms provide quick access to natural spaces, including a community garden, green houses, a forest with a trail network, and a newly developed campground area. Our play spaces are vast and take into consideration the developmental needs of children.
Meadowridge is an accredited, IB continuum world school with a well-established Primary Years Programme (PYP), Middle Years Program (MYP), and Diploma Programme (DP). Our teaching faculty are highly trained IB educators, with a growing number of IB Workshop Academy leaders on staff. The IB Learner Profile provides the foundation for character development at our school, while the IB Approaches to Teaching allow for continued pedagogical growth and reflection of our teachers.
In addition to being an IB world school, we are also accredited by the Canadian Accreditation of Independent Schools (CAIS), and the British Columbia Ministry of Education. These organizations compliment the global perspective that is inherent in the IB program, while also helping to ensure we maintain a current and relevant world-class educational experience.
Our Mission statement is Learning to live well with others, and for others, in a just community.
Position Rationale and Goal
The teacher is the key element in the School’s ability to promote the social, emotional and academic well-being of the students and is the key driver of a school culture that is warm, inviting and committed to the ideals of the International Baccalaureate Programmes. Consistent with the Ministry of Education and International Baccalaureate Programmes, the teacher works within an established framework for the delivery of educational service which supports the school program. The teacher ensures that the instructional program is implemented in a way that maximizes learning for all students.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Meadowridge mission and vision
- Model and encourage a culture in alignment with the IB Learner Profile
- Collaborate and maintain a professional relationship with school staff and faculty
- Implement IB Programme and BC Education Plan (plan, deliver, assess, and report) for assigned grades and subject areas
- Embrace experiential education through the intentional engagement of the head (intellectual), heart (emotional), and hands (physical) into pedagogical practice
- Monitor and support students’ academic, emotional, and social growth through our pastoral care program
- Nurture each child to discover their own talents, sense of purpose, and sense of self
- Build positive relationships with families through regular communication and participation in community engagements
Collaboratively plan and participate in field trips, including overnight trips as assigned
- Make an active contribution to our extensive co-curricular programs, and participate fully in the culture of our Meadowridge community
Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to professional growth and development
- Ensure classroom is ready to receive students prior to the start of school each year, including classroom relocations
- Assume additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Head of School or delegate
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Education
- A valid BC Teaching Certificate (or eligibility to obtain)
- Experience teaching in an independent school environment is preferred
- International Baccalaureate (IB) training and IB experience in MYP and DP Math is preferred
Desired Dispositions and Approaches
- Demonstrates an approach to teaching and learning that aligns with Meadowridge values:Strong practitioner of inquiry, experiential and concept-based teaching
- A commitment to supporting differentiated learning styles and a passion for educating the whole student
- Varies assessment strategies to inform instruction and monitor learning
Demonstrates a highly collaborative disposition
- Have exceptional interpersonal skills to establish connections with students, parents, and colleagues
- Demonstrated commitment to integrating technology purposefully to transform learning
- Demonstrated passion for innovation and creativity in education
Highly reflective and committed to continuous professional growth and improvement
Meadowridge School provides a fun, engaging, supportive, inclusive place to work and the opportunity to learn and grow with an exceptional community of professionals. We offer a comprehensive total compensation package which includes:
Extended Health and Dental
A matching RRSP Program
Employee and Family Assistance Program
Wellness Program including an annual allowance
Access to the schools fitness centre and gym
Acres of forest and trails to explore in
Social events and staff lunches
Extensive professional development opportunities
Please visit our website at Meadowridge.bc.ca for more information about our school.
Meadowridge School acknowledges it is located on the ancestral, unceded territory of the Katzie, the Kwantlen, and the Stó:lō First Nation. We value the opportunity to learn, live, play, and share educational experiences on this traditional land. Meadowridge School is committed to building strong meaningful relationships and positive partnerships with all the traditional keepers and stewards of this land.
We thank all for applying, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position will remain open until filled.
To apply for this job please visit meadowridgeschool.bamboohr.com.