Glenlyon Norfolk School (GNS) is an independent day school that is a caring and thriving community. As one of fifteen IB World Continuum schools in Canada offering three International Baccalaureate programs, GNS is proud of its unique ‘IB Advantage’: a 21st-Century education which educates the whole child and creates global thinkers.
We are a strong community minded team at GNS with a big heart and a strong work ethic. We are looking for like-minded individuals who will share in our passion for preparing outstanding citizens of character who will contribute to the world through their leadership, a commitment to service, and an understanding that we are all responsible for the future of our communities. We are excited to announce the following opportunity to join our community:
Director of Outdoor Education
Start Date: negotiable
The Director of Outdoor Education is responsible for the development and implementation of an extensive and world-class Outdoor Education program for JK-12 students. This role will be tasked with developing a program that excites and engages students in outdoor pursuits while actively contributing to their social and emotional development. The Director will coordinate and lead a range of developmentally appropriate learning experiences, organize appropriate training for staff and students, and oversee a range of co-curricular activities, including the School’s year round Marine Adventure Program.
The successful applicant will be a knowledgeable, experienced and enthusiastic outdoor educator with a range of training and certifications in recognized outdoor pursuits. You will build on our existing program that allows our students to take full advantage of our location on the beautiful west coast of Canada. From launching kayaks off the beach of our own Junior School Campus to surfing on the wild west coast of Vancouver Island to winter camping on nearby mountains, these and other adventures allow GNS students to make the most of our unique region.
- Coordinating with School Administration to develop, maintain and execute a vision and strategic plan for the JK-12 Outdoor Education programme.
- Work closely with the Director of Risk Management to ensure that all outdoor education activities and experiences adhere to the highest industry standards for safety and risk management.
- Establish strong, positive relationships with students and foster a healthy environment for outdoor education in accordance with the mission and values of the School.
- Collaborate with the PHE department and other faculty to link outdoor activities to curriculum objectives and to prepare students for outdoor experiences.
- Coordinate and lead appropriate outdoor education training for teachers, other OE staff members and students.
- Coordinate and lead a variety of outdoor education experiences, including some overnight and weekend trips throughout the year.
- Coordinate the hiring of certified OE guides to support the delivery of the program and provide leadership to ensure the highest quality experiences.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications team to showcase and celebrate the many opportunities our students enjoy as part of the OE program.
- Develop and plan various events and opportunities to inform parents and students of the many outdoor adventures the School offers.
- Develop and manage the Outdoor Education calendar of events.
Ensure the maintenance, repair and adequate inventory of all outdoor education gear and equipment.
- Provide an annual report to school leadership as a means to review and refine the program to ensure a world class experience for all participants.
- Manage the OE Budget and ensure the School’s resources – both financial and human – are used to the greatest effect in the student experience.
- Participate fully in the culture of our independent school community.
- Must be a Canadian resident and/or legally entitled to work in Canada
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Outdoor Education or equivalent
- Previous experience in an Outdoor Education leadership role
- Professional training and/or certification in some of the following areas: Bronze Cross, NLS, Nordic skiing, Avalanche safety, Sea Kayaking, Search and Rescue, Backpacking, Canoeing, Climbing, etc. which are regularly maintained
- A commitment to the highest standards of professional conduct in relation to risk management and adherence to outdoor industry best practices
- An exceptional relationship builder and the ability to engage students at all age levels.
- A clear vision of the role that outdoor education plays in the personal development of young people
- Strong organizational, communication, administrative and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Current Wilderness First Aid Certification
- A high level of physical fitness and passion for the outdoors
- A valid class 4 Driver’s license would be a considerable asset
- A qualified teacher would be an asset but not required; a combination of education and experience may be considered
- Knowledge of one or more IB programmes (DP, MYP, or PYP) would be considered an asset
- Five years’ successful experience as an Outdoor Education educator in an educational setting
- Familiarity with Google Apps for Education
Glenlyon Norfolk School offers a comprehensive total compensation package and the opportunity to work with an exceptional community of professionals. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter indicating personal strengths and accomplishments by Friday, January 29, 2021 by using the following link: https://easyapply.co/job/director-of-outdoor-education?rcid=isabc
This position will remain open until filled. As long as this posting is active on our website, we will continue to accept applications. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Glenlyon Norfolk School will only use and retain personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.
To apply for this job please visit easyapply.co.