Early Childhood Educator Coordinator
Regular, Full Time
Posting # 2022033
Hours : 1.0 FTE (37.5 hours weekly)
Salary : $30.33-33.53 per hour, Depending on years of service at SMS
This is a bargaining unit position in the Professional Employees Association.
Internal / External Posting
Today’s Date: December 24, 2021 | Closing Date: Open until filled |Effective: ASAP
Reporting to the Director, Junior School and working collaboratively with other members of the Early Childhood Education team. The Early Childhood Education Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the Early Childhood Education Centre, and the development and implementation of the Junior Kindergarten curriculum. The Coordinator ensures a stimulating and safe learning environment that supports the children’s cognitive, physical and social-emotional growth and development.
With the assistance of the other educators and assistants on the team, the ECE Coordinator ensures that the Early Childhood Education Centre meets regulatory standards, policies and guidelines outlined in the Community Care and Assisted Living Act: Child Care Licensing Regulation. The Coordinator collects and maintains all required documentation related to these regulations including tracking and recording the attendance of each child in the program.
The ECE Coordinator is key in the development of the vision of the program, keeping an alignment with the mission and vision of the school. The Coordinator is responsible for maintaining all documentation with respect to curriculum and the development of the learning program including communicating with parents. The Coordinator is responsible for the learning, care and well-being of the students in the program. As such, the ECE Coordinator needs to have display strong understanding of curriculum development and proven leadership skills.
• Believes in and practices the mission, goals of the school
• Reliable, accountable and dependable
• Growth mindset
• Flexible, versatile and innovative
• Effective communication skills
• Decision-maker and solution-seeker
• Supportive and encouraging
• Organized and insightful
• Energetic and self-motivated
• Friendly and professional
• Good time management skills
• Ability to maintain a positive working relationship with other SMS staff.
• Ability to build trust and positive relationships with families in the program.
• Ability to work cooperatively as a member of the SMS team, facilitating a team environment through personal behaviour, work contributions and the sharing of expertise and knowledge.
• Ability to be energetic, resilient and maintains a sense of humour when personal resources are challenged.
• Effective interpersonal skills under all types of conditions, exhibiting a supportive, positive approach.
• Shows a high degree of personal initiative with good planning and organizational skills.
• Create policies in alignment with standards set by licensing.
• Oversee daily operations of the learning center.
• Manage all documentation including developmental observations, attendance, maintenance of children’s files (e.g. health and social records, parents’ schedules).
• Maintain timely and accurate files.
• Ensure all licensing requirements have been met in preparation for Ministry Inspections.
• Ensure that practices and procedure to safeguard the health and safety of children are followed, as required in the Child Care Licensing Regulation.
• Attend faculty meetings and professional development days.
• Consult with the Director, Junior School about ECEC staffing.
• Liaise with the Director, Junior School, , Student Services Team, Admissions, and other educators. on matters of concern on related to the students and or parents.
• Greet prospective families and provide them with information about the program.
• Assess incoming/new students for developmental readiness for school entry and provide written report to Admissions office for new applicants.
• Attend Open Houses and be available to answer questions about the program.
• Actively participate in SMS staff activities whenever possible.
• Participate in short- and long-term planning and evaluation and staff program reviews.
• Participate in the performance review process for self and for the other educators.
• Plan and carry out annual personal professional development.
• Manage and supervise other educators.
• Create shifts and set daily schedule.
• Coach educators in the area of developmentally appropriate curriculum for early learners and best practices for teaching.
• Support and provide guidance to other educators related to curriculum development.
• Deliver professional development to teaching staff as needed.
• Facilitate meetings with other educators on a regular basis.
• Perform other duties as assigned or required by the Director, Junior School.
• Undergraduate or Master’s Degree specializing in Early Childhood Education or Early Learning
• Early Childhood Education and Care Certificate or Diploma
• Current Early Childhood Educator License to Practice
• Current Safety Awareness & First Aid for Childhood Emergencies Certificate
• Criminal Record Check
• A minimum of five years experience in a supervising role within and Early Childhood Education or school setting
• Superior communication, organization and interpersonal skills in working with colleagues and parents
• Ability to work as part of a team
St. Margaret’s is Western Canada’s only all-girls, independent day and boarding school located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international centre for girls’ learning and leadership development providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (boarding grades 7-12). A committed, high calibre staff, a beautiful campus, and an innovative, integrated curriculum create a nurturing environment that challenges students to achieve their academic and leadership potential.
Interested candidates are invited to submit an application package, including a covering letter, curriculum vitae and professional references, quoting the Posting #2022033 to:
St. Margaret’s School
1080 Lucas Avenue
Victoria, BC V8X 3P7
Email: [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.