Job Posting: Part-time Bus Driver for King David High School
Part-time (30 hours per week)
Start date: As available
Who we are:
King David High School is a top-rated independent school in central Vancouver; we are members of ISABC and a CAIS accredited school. Our staff come from all walks of life and backgrounds; we value diversity. King David staff enjoy working in a warm, collegial environment. We collaborate to create a fun and caring work environment where our students and staff strive to reach their potential by setting high standards and working hard. King David High School nurtures a Jewish culture characterized by a shared tradition, a common dedication to social justice, and a love for lifelong learning.
We are looking for a conscientious, kind, dependable, flexible and friendly person. The successful applicant will treat others with kindness and respect and will appreciate working with children. The driver will work under the direction of our Operations Manager. Bus drivers provide safe transportation for students while driving in a variety of road and weather conditions so care and attention to detail with a focus on student safety are a priority.
- Drive a bus in order to transport students from designated pick-up and delivery locations, both routine (morning school or after school run) and special (e.g., field trips, sporting events, etc.)
- Conduct daily inspections of the vehicle, prior to operation, to check basic mechanical features; maintain vehicle fluids such as fuel, engine oil, coolant, etc., at the correct levels
- Sweep interior of bus and ensure tidiness
- Explains to regular passengers basic safety items such as safe operation of windows; and the use/location of emergency exits, fire extinguishers and first aid kit
- Maintains order and adherence to safety rules among students during transport and when boarding and leaving bus, following school regulations.
- Report any mechanical problems as soon as possible to the Operations Manager
- Reports any incident/accident involving bus or students to the Operations Manager as soon as possible
- Completes basic records and reports related to inspections, student behaviour, etc.
- Maintains professionalism, ethical behaviour and confidentiality
- Performs other related duties as may reasonably be expected of a person in this position
- Completion of Grade 12
- Valid B.C. Class 2 driver’s license with an Air Endorsement with a safe driving record; a driver’s abstract to be provided annually
- Thorough knowledge of the rules of safe operation and safety precautions to be taken when driving and school buses
- Sufficient physical strength to lift materials and equipment, ability to carry out safe working practices including the ability to use appropriate lifting and carrying techniques
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, teachers and supervisors
- Ability to work cooperatively with others including school staff
- Ability to direct students, with authority and diplomacy to ensure appropriate and safe behaviour
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Previous related experience in driving large multi-passenger vehicles would be an asset
- Previous experience working with groups of children would be an asset
- The successful applicant must be able to work around young people who are part of the vulnerable sector and will have to undergo a criminal records check completed by the school and be currently eligible to work in Canada.
- Given the nature of the work, the bus driver shall not consume alcoholic beverages within 12 Hours prior to driving a bus. Violation could lead to dismissal. Further, the bus driver will ensure that any medication, drugs, etc. that may be taken will not impair driving ability. Consultation with a physician may be necessary for this.
Why work at King David:
- King David staff enjoy working in a warm, welcoming, modern and collegial environment
- We want you to feel welcome and part of our school team. If you have other skills we may be able to increase your employment should this be an option.
- We offer competitive wages, moving towards $30 per hour, and a kind and caring work environment
How to apply:
If you are excited to work with a committed and team-oriented group of staff and you have the desire to make a difference in the lives of others, we want to hear from you.
Please forward your resume and cover letter to Russ Klein, Head of School at [email protected]kdhs.org. We thank all candidates for their application and we will reply to all applicants though we will only be interviewing selected applicants. This position will be open until it is filled so as long as this posting remains active on our website, we are accepting applications.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.