Educational Assistant-Junior School
Job Description Title: Educational Assistant
Department: Junior School
Reports To: Junior School Principal
Supervises: No Supervisory Duties
Interfaces with: Students, teachers, and the entire school community,
Founded in 2000, Stratford Hall is located in the heart of East Vancouver. An innovative International Baccalaureate (IB) World School, serving students from Kindergarten to Grade 12, Stratford Hall has grown steadily under the care of inspiring leaders and talented and thoughtful teachers and support staff. Over the past 18 years, the school’s graduates have matriculated to outstanding post-secondary institutions in Canada, the United States, and abroad.
Position Rationale and Goal:
Educational Assistants are integral to our school’s ability to promote the social, emotional and academic well-being of the students entrusted to our care. Supporting students and teachers at Stratford Hall is an important role, as we facilitate student learning and encourage our students to become great human beings who embody the IB Learner Profile. All staff are key drivers of a school culture that is warm, inviting and unabashedly committed to the ideals of the International Baccalaureate programmes.
The successful candidate will be invested, caring, motivated, and self-directed, with excellent interpersonal skills to establish strong connections with students, parents and colleagues. They will be highly collaborative, have a strong aptitude in differentiated learning styles, and committed to life-long learning. Experience in Early Childhood Education, student support, and child care in a school setting is preferred.
Ideal Candidate Profile and Qualifications
Candidates for any position at the school are expected to possess:
● Fluent communication skills in English, both spoken and written;
● Strong organizational, communication, administrative and interpersonal skills;
● The ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
● Successful completion of a secondary school graduation program or equivalent;
● Ability to work independently and cooperatively while following the direction and guidance of the classroom/resource teacher;
● Ability to operate a variety of office and school equipment, including equipment specific to the needs of the students;
● Ability to use judgment when providing information;
● Physically capable of performing the duties of the position;
● Knowledge of safe work practices.
● Assists teachers in the planning, development, adaptation, preparation, and implementation of curriculum, classroom materials and schedules to meet the needs of a variety of students;
● Works directly with students to reinforce concepts and skills introduced by the teacher and implements instructional programs designed by the teacher;
● Maintains regular communications with the supervising teacher and other team members including parents and other relevant professionals;
● Observes and records student progress, maintains detailed written records as required;
● Supervises student(s) both on and off the school campus as required;
● May administer medications and carry out emergency procedures;
● Remains current with changing technology, practices, and equipment;
● Performs other related duties as assigned.
After School Care (ASC) 3:30pm-5:30pm
• Assist in the provision of a variety of age appropriate learning and play opportunities that align with the School’s mission and vision
• Lead groups of children in specific sport, game craft and learning activities
• Manage behaviours and adapt activities to meet the needs of groups or individuals
Terms of Employment:
Hours of work will be full-time, 9:30am-5:30pm, on all days in which school is in session. Salary will be determined by the Head of School in conjunction with the Director of Finance and Operations and will be commensurate with the employee’s experience and training.
Stratford Hall offers a comprehensive benefits package including RRSP matching, and fully paid extended health and dental premiums (no waiting period)
All interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume, attention Junior School Principal, to firstname.lastname@example.org