Principal - Junior Kindergarten to Grade 5
Principal (JK to 5)
Meadowridge is an independent, co-educational day school offering an IB education to 600 students ages 3 to 17 (JK to 12), in Maple Ridge, B.C. We are accredited by many agencies (provincial, national and international) and we work rigorously to provide a world class education. More importantly, we seek to help children reach their potential in an environment of care where they are dignified and treated with kindness.
Our mission is to “live well with others and for others in a just community”.
Our classrooms are located on a large campus, with a 10-acre forest proximal to the PYP classrooms. Our students experience the world by doing. Our physical spaces reflect the importance of movement, play and interaction with the outdoors. Doors from classrooms provide access to natural spaces, including a community garden, green houses, a trail network and soon a camp ground. Our play spaces are vast and take into consideration of the developmental needs of children.
The PYP is well-established at our school. Many of our faculty are IB Academy Trainers. Instructional excellence is supported by an PYP IB Coordinator (0.5 FTE) & Continuum Director of Teaching & Learning. There are approximately 250 students in the PYP. We are an IB World Continuum School. So, the IB Learner Profile is our guide for character development, inquiry is our central approach to learning and we really believe in the promise of education to create a better world. We are accredited by the Council of International Schools which compliments well the global perspective inherent in the IB.
Meadowridge School seeks a visionary, passionate, organized and hard-working leader to support teachers, parents and students within our Primary Years Programme. The Principal (JK to 5) is responsible to coordinate all aspects of the elementary school, to ensure excellence in operations, academic results and most importantly ensure a high ethic of care for those they serve. The position is salaried and full-time (1.0 FTE). Remuneration is superior for this position and working conditions are as well. You will find the environment to be fun, friendly and supportive of your efforts. The Principal (JK to 5) reports directly to the Deputy Head of School.
• Submits contributions to the Newsletter and Hot Sheet.
• Participates in Advancement events, including Golf Tournament, Headmaster Socials and Gala
• Interviews and evaluates candidates for the School.
• Selects candidates with the admissions team.
• Alerts families to concerns affecting re-registration.
• Serves as Master of Ceremonies for formal events at the School including the PYP Showcase, Recognition Assemblies and other PYP events.
• In all senses, act as an ambassador of the PYP, working with Advancement to connect the school to our constituents.
• Ensure effective communication and collaboration among all staff members and the administrative team.
• Conduct parent information sessions and participate in Admissions Open Houses.
• Participate in a variety of school assemblies.
• Publish articles pertaining to the programme in the school newsletter.
• Submit information to continually update our website.
• Prepare and submit documentation required for accreditations/evaluations.
• Supervises emergency drills.
• Implements emergency response protocols.
• With the administrative team, the Principal of PYP consults on, endorses and upholds decisions made.
• Chairs staff meetings.
• Informs the Administrative team as required if issues arise with teachers within their academic program.
• Upholds school policy, and maintains open and active communication with the staff, students, and parents.
• Attends a variety of school functions including those appropriate and important to their academic program.
• Represent Meadowridge on external organization groups (ISABC Pro-d, etc.)
• Plays an active role on hiring committee for faculty positions.
• Interviews and hires Teachers on Call (TOC).
• Responsible for TOC dispatch and placement within the timetable.
• Ensure that staff are made aware of professional development opportunities.
• Identify professional development needs and opportunities on and off campus.
• Work with Continuum Director of Teaching & Learning to ensure PD is developed in accordance with the needs of the PYP.
• Lead the induction of new teachers into the PYP.
• Identify resource needs within the PYP and ensure these are adequately funded.
• Establish an inventory of resources to facilitate efficient management of the school.
• Creates, maintains, and implements a time table and all information pertaining to the academic schedule.
• Coordinates and produces the Parent/Teacher Interview schedule.
• Sets yearly calendar and schedule in conjunction with the Administrative Team.
• Coordinates supervision schedules for staff.
• Coordinates exam schedule and exam supervision including Foundation Skills Assessment.
• Coordinates teacher appraisal schedules.
• Coordinates report card dates.
• Coordinate the pastoral care of all students in the PYP, including Care Team Meetings, ministry referrals and the development of IEP’s.
Student Behavior Management
• Coordinates and maintains a thorough system of discipline that exemplifies due process and clear communication.
• Communicates with parents on serious discipline issues.
• Liaises with teachers on matters of discipline.
• Maintains appropriate records on all discipline related issues.
• Responsible for student uniform issues and enforcement.
Teaching & Learning
• Support the Continuum Director of Teaching & Learning and PYP IB Coordinator in the implementation of teaching and learning at the school.
• Be familiar with and promote understanding and use of all PYP documents.
• Ensure the IB Learner Profile is enacted widely across the school.
• Participate in the development of the school's educational strategy.
• Ensure the concept of internationalism permeates all subjects.
• Ensure Outdoor Experiential Ecological Education is supported and promoted within the PYP.
• Develop timetables that support common planning time for teaching teams.
• May be required to teach and/or cover classes and thus is responsible for all that is involved with a regular teaching position. Teaching responsibility can vary from year to year.
• Systematically appraises teachers over the course of the school year, including in-class observation and writing of formal reports.
• Ensure that policies are understood by all and carried out.
• Self-motivated & solution-oriented
• Organized, timely and attention to detail
• Ability to identify issues before they arise
• Flexible, friendly and enjoys working in teams
• Hard-working and action-oriented
• Minimum 5 years teaching experience
• Experience as teacher/coordinator/administrator in IB setting
• Experience in international or independent school settings
• Master’s Degree
• 5 years minimum of administrative experience
We are an exemplary employer – providing a fun, engaging and supportive place to work! Applicants should submit their cover letter and resumes, along with the names of at least two references, to email@example.com .