Assistant Principal, Junior School
Each child holds our attention at Glenlyon Norfolk School (GNS), an independent day school that is a caring, and thriving community. As one of only fourteen IB World Continuum schools in Canada offering three International Baccalaureate programs, GNS is proud of its unique 'IB Advantage': a 21st-Century education which educates the whole child and creates global thinkers.
At GNS, we are a strong community minded team with a big heart and a strong work ethic. We are looking for like-minded individuals who will share in our passion for preparing outstanding young men and women in making positive differences in the world. We currently seek exceptional applicants for the following opportunity:
Assistant Principal, Junior School
Admin 0.7FTE / Teaching 0.3FTE
Start: September 1, 2018
The Assistant Principal (AP) supports the Junior School’s operations to inspire and engage faculty, staff and students (Grades JK-5) to do their best through truth and courage in academics, arts, athletics and citizenship. The Assistant Principal works to ensure each student receives a rich educational experience that is nurturing, challenging and prepares students to be committed, creative, and compassionate global citizens. A positive role model for all members of the GNS community, the AP plays a key role in building strong relationships within GNS and the broader community.
- Work collaboratively with the members of the Junior School faculty and staff to ensure excellence in the day-to-day operations aligning outcomes in the Junior School with the GNS strategic plan.
- Actively promote and apply the School’s mission, vision and values; review and uphold the School’s policies and standards as it relates to behavior, safety and dress code and deal with student discipline as needed.
- Promote a safe, inclusive and positive learning focused environment for all students;
- Ensure compliance with legal requirements as it relates to child welfare and student safety;
- Review and implement protocols with respect to all areas of risk management and emergency preparedness to ensure the safety of students, faculty and staff; produce emergency plans and protocols and conduct all necessary drills.
- In conjunction with the JS Principal, support and facilitate professional growth providing guidance and coaching to all members of staff;
- Develop, review and make enhancements to the JS Teacher Mentoring programme.
- Provide information and advice on teacher assignments in preparation for budgets, FTE allocations and teacher contracts.
- Create, coordinate and implement the junior school timetable including the ‘on call’ coverage schedule; adjust to accommodate special events and various circumstances, as needed.
- Create and oversee playground supervision schedules and perform regular supervision duties.
- Provide support, training and oversight to the Educational Assistants and Teaching Assistants, including the creation of EA/TA timetables.
- Prepare and support calendar decisions and communicate weekly bulletins to staff; input and update all Beach Campus events on the GNS web calendar.
- Oversee the Beach Campus Student Recognitions Programme, creating certificates and a schedule of distribution at assemblies throughout the school year.
- Serve on various committees i.e. sub-committee of the Board or special events committees, as a representative of the Principal, the Junior School, or as an invited staff member.
- Respond to inquiries and external surveys from government, auditors and other agencies; complete, distribute, collect and/or collate forms as required.
- Lead, coordinate and execute special events, assemblies, ceremonies and other occasions; continually look for ways to improve activities that support students and parents, and celebrate school life.
- Support the admissions process by assisting with open houses, assessments and other activities.
- Meet regularly with the JS Principal and attend administrative meetings as called upon by the Principal or Head.
- Deputize for the JS Principal in all matters as needed, or refer to the Head of School as appropriate.
- In conjunction with campus administration, assist in the coordination of TOC bookings.
- Organize and implement all aspects of the annual CTBS and FSA testing weeks.
- Maintain a 0.3 FTE teaching assignment.
- Other duties as assigned by the Principal or Head of School.
Education / Experience / Skills:
- Masters degree in Educational Administration or a related discipline is desirable; a combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Eligible for BC Ministry of Education teaching certificate.
- At least five years of proven administrative ability and experience, preferably in an independent school setting.
- At least five years of exemplary teaching experience at the Junior School level.
- Extensive experience and training within IB programmes.
- Excellent interpersonal, public relations and presentation skills.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Proven track record of achievement and professionalism.
- The ability to think, plan and execute strategically.
- High level of initiative, energy and motivation.
- Proactive and innovative approach to solving problems.
- Collaborative, yet decisive, management style.
- High standards of confidentiality and integrity with staff, parents and other community members.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Flexibility and tolerance for high stress, fast paced environment.
- Excellent understanding of independent school culture.
- Knowledge of BC Elementary School Curriculum and BC Ministry regulations.
Glenlyon Norfolk School offers a comprehensive total compensation package and the opportunity to work with an exceptional community of professionals. Interested educators should submit an online application package, which includes a covering letter, curriculum vitae and a minimum of three professional references. Application link:https://easyapply.co/job/assistant-principal-2?rcid=isabc
Closing Deadline: Friday, February 23th at 12:00 p.m. or until filled.
We thank all individuals for their interest however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.